Do you consider yourself a chronic overpacker? Are you looking for ways to avoid checked baggage fees at the airport? Both? We’re constantly trying to figure out the best ways to avoid checking luggage. Unless you’re traveling with kids, you should be able to get away with traveling with just a carry-on + personal item that can fit under the seat in front of you.
1. Start with a carry-on bag.
2. Don’t pack any items that can’t be worn more than once (socks and underwear are exceptions) unless you plan to do laundry or will have access to laundry service along the way.
3. Choose complimentary colors for clothing.
4. Pack more tops than bottoms.
5. Roll clothes in your luggage to save space.
6. Limit pairs of shoes to two or three.
7. Wear bulky clothing, e.g. coats and hiking boots, on the plane.
8. Minimize electronics.
9. Use travel-sized containers for liquid toiletries and consider solid alternatives. Remember TSA’s 3-1-1 rule for carry-on liquids (3.4 oz bottle or less in one quart-sized bag per passenger.)
10. Pack half the clothes and twice the money.
Have your own tips? We’d love to hear about them.