In the last few months, the R2R team has embarked on everything from long haul flights to Africa to 8-hr airport layovers and short 2-hr flights within the US. Every time we head to the airport, we’re reminded how important it is to be prepared. Airports and flights are our least favorite part of travel and we bet many of you agree.
Here are our favorite airport/ flight travel hacks and advice to get you ready for your next flight.
• Apps. Research airport and TSA apps prior to departure. Airport maps can speed up the transit process, especially when running late. It’s also important to download the latest version of the airline’s app before your flight. It’s often the only way you’ll have access to in-flight entertainment.
• Lounges. If you have a layover longer than two hours, consider purchasing a day pass to the airline lounge. Having access to comfortable seating, WiFi, outlets for charging devices, food and beverages is often worth the $50 you’ll spend.
• Skip the plastic. Bring a reusable water bottle or cup with lid to hydrate before and during your flight. Water dispensers are commonly found in airport terminals after you’ve cleared security.
• Hand sanitizer. It’s always a good idea to have a travel size bottle of hand sanitizer in your carry-on luggage.
• 3 Must-Have’s For Flights – Neck Pillow, Noise Cancelling Headphones and Eye Mask. Not only will they help you get some sleep, but they’ll also help you tune out the high volume of in-flight noise.
• Entertainment. Stock your phone or tablet with podcasts and/or audio books. You can close your eyes and drown out the noise around you. Our current favorite podcast series are Malcolm Gladwell’s “Revisionist History” and “Serial”.