Palms, Pines, and the River of Grass: The Everglades and South Florida
October 22-28, 2022
South Florida in fall puts you in the path of many birds heading into the state for winter, as well as those passing through to points further south. Coupled with all the incredible South Florida specialties, including many established exotic species, this six-day trip promises birds and wildlife galore. From the legendary Everglades to Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade County hotspots, the waders, warblers, shorebirds, and parrots are sure to please. Join Reefs to Rockies and Front Range Birding Company for a spectacular excursion to the River of Grass and the hardwood hammocks, pine scrub, palm trees and saw palmettos that are South Florida.
About Your Guide: Chip Clouse is a long-time bird tour leader and Reefs to Rockies’ Lead Naturalist Guide. He’s also ProStaff for Opticron optics and Former Manager of the Front Range Birding Company. Originally enamored with tooth and claw predators, his fascination with birds started by volunteering with the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission to monitor Peregrine Falcon nest sites. His love for birds was cemented once he saw his first Western Tanager while working for the Peregrine Fund in Oregon. Chip’s experience includes 20+ years of bird research and project management experience in nine states and the Caribbean nation of Grenada, a Masters in Conservation Biology from Colorado State University, five years with the American Birding Association, three years as a rep with a major optics manufacturer and stints guiding at 15+ different US birding festivals.
- Everglades National Park
- Tamiami Trail Hotspots
- Key Biscayne and Crandon Park
- Green Cay and Wakodahatchee Wetlands
- Miami and Ft Lauderdale Parrot and Parakeet Roosts
- DAY 1 (Sat, Oct 22): Arival to Fort Lauderdale & Boynton Beach
- DAY 2 (Sun, Oct 23): Boynton Beach & Jonathan Dickinson State Park
- DAY 3 (Mon, Oct 24): Broward County Hotspots, Miami-Dade County Hotspots & Dadeland
- DAY 4 (Tues, Oct 25): Miami Area Parrot Roosts & Tamiami Trail Hotspots
- Day 5 (Wed, Oct 26): Everglades National Park
- Day 6 (Thurs, Oct 27): Miami Area Hotspots
- Day 7 (Fri, Oct 28): Return to Fort Lauderdale