Your flight has been delayed or canceled and you’ve just found yourself with hours to kill at the airport. Travel often enough and this scenario is sure to happen. You didn’t plan on spending this trip extension in an airport terminal so now what are you going to do?
1. Go on a scavenger hunt. Make a list of random and obscure objects (snacks with funny names, gate number for a flight to a particular city, a place that sells pizza) and race to collect photos of them all. Some airports even have scavenger hunt lists on their website (http://www.flydenver.com/airportscavengerhunt). Nothing passes time like a competition.
2. Many airports have permanent and rotating art exhibits on display. Check out the art.
3. In years past, airports have had the reputation for offering bland food and exorbitant prices. That’s changing and today airports around the world offer trendy dining and drink locales. Go on your own food or pub crawl. Sample snacks and/or have a drink or two.
4. Clean up your email inbox. When was the last time you had zero emails in your inbox? Maybe this is the time to make that a reality.
5. Crossword, Sudoku or Word Search. Go old school by completing a puzzle printed on actual paper. You might want to pack a pencil or pen in case an airport delay becomes a reality.
6. Find out what’s currently on the Best Sellers list and pick up a new book to read.
7. Pamper yourself with a back massage or pedicure at one of the airport kiosks.
8. Exercise. Speed walking and yoga can be implemented in just about any airport terminal. Some airports even have gyms available at nearby airport hotels if you’d like to venture away from the terminal.
9. Fine tune your geography skills. Check out the arrival and departures screens and challenge yourself to find a variety of locations on a map.
10. Go exploring. If you have an extra long delay or layover, think about leaving the airport to explore the surrounding area. Many city airports have direct public transportation options downtown.
11. Get caught up on a television series by binge watching episode after episode.
12. Challenge yourself to take the most ridiculous selfie ever. We’ll let your imagination run wild with this one!